Sunday, October 7, 2007

my job history

I think I've had pretty typical jobs in the past, but I can definitely see how they affect my life outside of work. My first job was at a clothing store, where my main job was folding clothes and cleaning my designated area. I worked in the outside tent of Sporting Life, where customers seem to think there is a special exception for making a mess. So I did a lot of cleaning that summer, which made me very bitter everytime I went shopping. It got to the point where I didn't feel like I should attempt to fold clothes wherever I went shopping because no one did it at my store for me.
I worked at a golf course for a couple summers, partly driving around the beverage cart. I had to track the number of pepsis, gatorades, coors light, bud light, keiths, smirnoff, guiness, etc so everytime I put more drinks or refreshments on the cart I'd have to count them out. I find myself still counting everything I do. If I'm packing stuff to go away for a weekend or something like that, I sometimes find myself counting out the number of shirts, socks, etc. It's really strange because I don't even notice it sometimes but my old job gave me a mild case of OCD it seems! Another thing that I brought home from my job at the golf course was my fake conversation voice. I came up with a couple different phrases that I said all the time at work to the members because there were a lot of older couples that I had to talk to in a certain way. This also happened when I worked as a fundraiser for a couple different charities. I had to stand on the street and ask people if they "had a minute for (insert charity name here)". Again, I came up with a couple safe phrases or responses that I said once every couple minutes basically. I ended up saying these phrases and using my fake voice outside of work and it just became second nature. It seems impossible to separate yourself from work, and I'm not sure if you really should. As Terkel shows, your job is a big part of who you are. I think summer jobs are a little bit less true in this sense, but they are still a big part of your life and, obviously, have an affect on different elements of your life that you may not expect.

No comments: